Monday, February 21, 2011

Thing #9: Rollyo

So task number 9 is to create our own search engine using a tool that is new to me, Rollyo. Using this tool, you can choose a list of websites you want to search across and save them for you and anyone to use (if you choose the public option).
I chose to create a list of archival blogs that I could search across, if I had a professional query. The search can be found here: http://rollyo.com/annamcnally/archival/

I found creating the search initially quite easy, although when it came to saving it, I initially thought the website had wiped it and taken me back to the first page. It was only after I tried to do it again that I realised it had saved it the first time!

I've also struggled with working out how to put it into my blog as a widget, as some of the other 23 Things participants seem to have managed to! But it is Monday...

Overall then: I can certainly see ways in which this might be a useful tool, if I remember to use it. For example, a quick search on 'twitter' using my search engine brought up a variety of interesting blog posts on how archives and museums are using it.

No comments:

Post a Comment