Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Thing #7 Tag Clouds

So here, late as usual, and prompted by the posting of Thing #8, we have an exploration of Wordle.

Wordle makes pictures from words. You can type in words, paste in text or link to a blog and it will create a cloud of words, with the size based on the frequency that you use those words.

The challenge was to think up words that relate to our experience of 23 Things so far. I did this and ended up with a pretty lame wordle:


Wordle: 23things

So instead I used the option to post in the feed for this blog and got:

Wordle: myblog

oooh, much better! I think it's positive how many times I have mentioned students, but also shows that I am clearly obsessed with Flickr to an unhealthy degree.

The most obvious use of Wordle is for Powerpoint presentations, as an opening screen to give audience members an idea of what you're going to be talking about. I can imagine that a year or so down the line everyone and his uncle might be doing that, but for now it still looks quite new and fresh. I have a few presentations coming up and I think I will probably use a Wordle in those, by pasting in my talk notes.

I also tried to use Tagxedo, but got the message that my computer required a more up-to-date version of Silverlight and, as this PC has already died once recently, I didn't think it wise to push it any further.

so, verdict on Wordle - success! I like this one!

No comments:

Post a Comment