Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Thing #12: Online applications

Thing #12 is using Googledocs, which we have access to within the University at present (although whether the changes later with the roll out of Alfresco remains to be seen).

Googledocs is something I have used extensively in my personal professional life because I've moved between organisations relatively frequently, so I upload work I want to take with me (presentations, conference papers, articles I've downloaded, manuals I've written). Many of these I refer back to surprisingly often - a class I taught for the London Consortium became the basis of a talk I gave for ARLIS, ( now being turned into a book chapter) as well as the starting point for a session for Visual Culture students here at Westminster. I might change the archive examples I use within them but the general message usually remains the same.

However I use googledocs seldomly in my day-to-day work here at westminster because we have other document and information sharing within our department (L drive, shared email inbox, as well as all the databases stored on CALM). I mostly use the googledocs for our monthly reports, and then only when my line manager in on holiday and I am doing them in her absence.

The archive did create a RAID log on googledocs associated with our digitisation project, because we were involving IT colleagues in the tendering process. Looking back at this RAID log I realise we completely failed to update it when we completed the tasks involved because it ultimately only affected the two (now three) members of the archive team and well, we knew we'd completed those tasks. We probably should have a been a bit more conscientious about doing this though, as a way of keeping track of our project.

No comments:

Post a Comment